Defense Deep Dive
Ok, I get it. You are a busy person – busy collecting NFTs like they are Infinity Stones. And NFTdraft is just one of a hundred things that has your attention – so you’d like to set up a team at the beginning of the season and play it week in and week out. But I am begging you, pleading really… if you only research ONE thing each week – PLEASE RESEARCH DEFENSE.
Defense is the position that depends the most on who they are playing – because if they are playing, say Kansas City, then Patrick Mahomes’ 6 touchdowns will absolutely crush your team and take your defense into negative points. So, let’s look at the scoring, some of the best defenses, teams you want to play against, and who you want to avoid.
DEFENSE SCORING – POINTS ALLOWED:
Every week, your defense starts with 10 points – woo! That is because your team gets points for keeping the other team from scoring. If they shut out the opponent the entire game, they keep their 10 points – but as soon as the opponent scores a SINGLE point, that 10 points goes down to 7. As you can see on the graph below, the more they score, the less points you get – even going into the negative!
|0 Points Allowed||+10 Pts|
|1 – 6 Points Allowed||+7 Pts|
|7 – 13 Points Allowed||+4 Pts|
|14 – 20 Points Allowed||+1 Pt|
|21 – 27 Points Allowed||+0 Pts|
|28 – 34 Points Allowed||-1 Pt|
|35+ Points Allowed||-4 Pts|
DEFENSE SCORING – MAIN CATEGORIES
The vast majority of the time, your team will score points in one of 3 ways – Sacks, Fumbles, and Interceptions:
- SACK – This is when someone from your defense tackles the other team’s Quarterback. Your Fantasy Team gets
1 Point every time it does!
- FUMBLE – This is when your defense makes the other team DROP the ball and they pick it up. When that happens, your team now gets the ball on OFFENSE and your Fantasy Team gets 2 Points.
- INTERCEPTION – This is when the other team is passing the ball, but one of your defensive players grabs the ball from the air instead. Your team then goes on OFFENSE and your Fantasy Team gets 2 Points.
|Fumble Recovery||+2 Pts|
DEFENSE SCORING – LESS COMMON CATEGORIES
While less common, here are the other ways your team can score:
- BLOCKED KICK – If at any time the opponent is trying to kick a FIELD GOAL, EXTRA POINT, or is trying to PUNT (kicking the ball on 4th down to get to further down the field) and the Defense blocks it, your Fantasy Team gets 2 Points.
- PUNT/KICKOFF/FG/INTERCEPTION/FUMBLE FOR TOUCHDOWN – While much rarer, if your DEFENSE ever steals the ball from the OFFENSE and (in the same play) runs the ball all the way to the other team’s endzone for a TD, then your Fantasy Team gets 6 Points!
- SAFETY – Very rare, but if your team tackles or “sacks” the opponent in their OWN endzone, that is called a SAFETY. A SAFETY results in 2 Points both for the team in the game AND your Fantasy Team!
|Punt/Kickoff/FG Return for TD||+6 Pts|
|Interception Return TD||+6 Pts|
|Fumble Recovery TD||+6 Pts|
|Blocked Punt or FG Return TD||+6 Pts|
|Blocked Kick||+2 Pts|
|2 Pt Conversion/Extra Point Return||+2 Pts|
Below are some cheat sheets to help you determine who you want to play any given week. Please note that the teams may be different this year since they have different rosters, and these rankings will change/update as we begin the season!
HIGHEST SCORING DEFENSES 2020 (In Order):
AKA – They will probably be good plays this season – Los Angeles, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, Miami, Baltimore, Washington, New Orleans, Buffalo, Tampa Bay
TEAMS WHO GAVE AWAY THE MOST POINTS TO DEFENSES 2020 (IN ORDER):
AKA – You want to play AGAINST them – New York Green, Denver, Philadelphia, New York Blue, San Francisco, Cincinnati, Washington, Dallas, Jacksonville
TEAMS WHO GAVE AWAY THE LEAST POINTS TO DEFENSES 2020 (IN ORDER):
AKA – You want to AVOID playing against them – Green Bay, Tennessee, New Orleans, Buffalo, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, Baltimore
DEFENSES EXPECTED TO BE THE BEST THIS SEASON 2021:
Los Angeles, Washington, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, San Francisco, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New England, New Orleans, Miami
Come and learn more about NFTdraft.io, strategy ideas, and deep dives into how to play by joining our Discord server. Join by going to: https://discord.gg/nftdraft
Chase aka 2ManyTDs is a Fantasy Writer and better not see any of you playing Detroit’s Defense Week 2 against Green Bay… or ever.
***All rules are subject to change.